Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I have a question regarding Shomer Negiah...............?

I was talking to this guy (a cute Israeli) I met and he asked if I would like to come to a party and Shomer Negiah?

I stood there in a little bit of a shock; I changed the subject on to something else and left after we talked for a good half hour.



Does anyone know how to handle the whole issue of Shomer Negiah, better? I’m really not the type of girl who...........you know does that kind of thing.

If anyone has any life experience on this issue, then your help will be much obliged. Thank U!I have a question regarding Shomer Negiah...............?
Shomer Negiah refers to the laws of touching, so that in itself is a bit perplexing. Was he trying to state the party was ok because the people going are shomer negiah (meaning, that they all follow the laws in regards to this matter)?



The best policy is honesty in such situations. Just explain that you don't feel comfortable attending, but would like to set up something more casual, if you are interested in the guy.



If you aren't interested, just politely decline and state that while the offer is a thoughtful one, you don't wish to go.I have a question regarding Shomer Negiah...............?
You DO realize that Shomer Negiah concerns the laws against casual contact. Judaism has laws for tzuinut (modesty) and part of those laws forbid things like hugging and hand holding except for certain family members. In fact, I was ready to slug my cousin years ago (he's now an Orthodox Rabbi in Munich and much more informed on the laws!); he refused to hug my mother (his aunt) and myself. WE'RE family!



Check out this article: http://www.aish.com/family/momblog/Women…



I think you'll see that you may have over-reacted to what he was referring to (unless I miss my guess!)



I'll also star your question for our more Talmud-knowledgable crew.I have a question regarding Shomer Negiah...............?
%26quot;f I would like to come to a party and Shomer Negiah%26quot;



Did he mean come to a party that was going to be Shomer Negiah or that wasn't going to observe this category of laws?



It's referring to the laws of touching within Judaism.

Shulchan Aruch states that one shouldn't touch women for pleasure.

Meaning hugging, kissing, rubbing against each other, etc...

To avoid this though, males and females don't tend to interact within frum communites.

It's a whole category of laws, and has to be understood meticulously. Of course certain exceptions have to be made for men who have to interact with women for job opportunities, [shaking hands when greeting] etc....I have a question regarding Shomer Negiah...............?
Israelis as a generalization tend to be very direct. In general I would just ask. It's extremely unlikely you could offend someone by asking what they mean. Will you have a chance to see him again? Even if you were to explain why you reacted the way you did - he'd think it funny instead of offensive.
  • cool name for a band
  • streamreader
  •