Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?

I just got my male betta yesterday. I have him in a gallon tank. I'm going to be changing 25% water every week. My question is how do I get the water out of the tank without upsetting King Tut? He is a very jumpy scared fish. I don't want him to go into shock or anything! Please help!How do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
Hmm where to start.



1)In a gallon tank without a filter you need to do 100% water changes. If you have a filter you should get a gravel vacuum (aka siphon) and do a 20% water change.



2)Your betta will not go into shock from being scared of a water changes. What will kill him is a sudden change in temp, or chlorinated water. Be sure that the water has been dechlorinated, and feels the same temp to the touch. The easiest way to do this is simply age the water for 48 in an open container in the same room as the betta.



3)You should get a small glass or jar and fill it with tank water. Then net your betta, and put him in. (Bettas jump so cover it.) Now dump all the water. (It's good for plants.) Rinse the gravel to remove uneaten food. Then fill it with your new water.



Personally I used to put a short wide mouthed glass into their water, and wiggle my finger. (My bettas have been conditioned to know that means it's dinner time.) Then I bring the cup/net up under him. Sometimes they figured it out, and I needed to net them. (Now I have my males in filtered 5 gallon tanks.)How do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
what if you vaccum or suck the water outHow do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
my dad does this, he uses a fish net , then gets him out, and then he puts him in a pitcher of fresh water, then you just poor the pitcher into the bowlHow do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
You can do it. And don't only change 25% of water each week, change it all. If he is scared and jumpy, he must pee a lot. And that is very gross.How do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
All you need to do is dip 25% of the water out and replace it with water at or very near the SAME TEMPERATURE. Be sure to use dechlorinating drops in the fresh water.



Bettas do not go into shock from a water change. He is jumpy because he is in new surroundings and is stressed out right now. Give him a week or so before you do your first water change. He will be fine.



JohnHow do I change the water without upsetting the Betta?
we have a see though fish they are small how many time you change the fish tank