Thursday, September 22, 2011

Betta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?

I got a betta fish a week and a half ago, and from what I read they re more difficult to take care of than what the store lets on.



Anyhow, I love my fish so far. He's very pretty and I want to treat him right so he'll live long.



I want to know what I can do to change the temperature in his water without having him go into shock. I just changed the water, but over night both the water in his container and the water I let set with the chlorine stuff became cold. Would it be wise to set him out in the sun? Or would that hurt him?



Also, temporarily I have a small container which I wonder if its really big enough for him. Its just a cheap little thing. Anyhow, what would be the best size for a betta fish? How big does it need to be?



What kind of food is the best for a betta fish? I bought two separate kinds, one something like color brite and another that has freeze dried shrimp or something. I hear a variety is the best, so what would you suggest? Also, when it comes to flakes, how much should I feed my betta, and is it better to feed him once a day or twice?



Thanks, and if you have any useful websites with information that would be very helpful!Betta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?
The best way to warm up the water would be...with a heater :) A small five-gallon tank with a filter and heater is the most effective environment for one betta. You can go larger if you want more fish, but for a single betta the 5-gals are the best.



The sun wouldn't be a great idea as it would not only promote algae growth, but also would cause the temp to rapidly fall each night which is worse than consistent cool.



A variety of food is the best. Pellets and flake both work. Be sure to put him on a fast every 6th day or so. This will prevent bloating issues. Tiny amounts is always best. Literally a tiny pinch, twice a day can be good. It's more natural to them to graze slowly throughout the day than just one big meal.



There's a good forum over at www.fishgeeks.com



Hope I helped!



EDIT: You CAN put two in the same tank. But they have to be female and male. NEVER put two fish that are males in the same tank or ANY fish that could be mistaken for a MALE betta (big flashy fins). Other than that you'll be fine.Betta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?
of they are pretty sturdy fish my kids always buy them they can live in a small fish bowl and I usually change water to like a luke warm water about once or twice a week as they seem to poop a lot and their food settles to the bottom as well if they do not eat it all..one thing I will tell you is never ever put two in the same bowl even for a few moments to change water because they bite each others fins off lol I learn this from experience lolBetta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?
Bettas are tropical fish. Therefore, they need a temperature between 72-82 degrees. No, don't set him out in the sun. First, extra light helps algae growth. Second, it will warm the water too fast. No one more one degree per hour. As for size, always get the largest size you can. I would say a minumum of 5 gallons. Also, if you get a larger tank, bettas make a great addition to a tropical tank, so you would be able to add other species with them.Betta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?
While a betta can live in a un-heated bowl, they will not thrive. They need temps. from 78-80 degrees F. and a steady temp at that. A 2.5 gallon tank is the smallest they should be in, and its the smallest you can safely heat. In a heated tank, your betta will never be %26quot;lazy%26quot; and he will have less health problems. Partial water changes still will be needed, 25% weekly is best, with treated/aged water. i use water containers to keep water on hand. Never change 100% at one time.

Setting him in the sun is not the solution. when the sun goes down, the water will get cold again, and the sun might heat the small amount of water up to cook him.

Here is one site that might help:http://bettysplendens.com/articles/catvi

I've purchased stock from this breeder.

As for food. Hikari makes a good betta food, pellets. if you feed flakes, which is okay, crumbling them up first is best. Brine shrimp, bloodworms, tubifex worms are best given as treats once or twice a week instead of the pellets. I would feed once a day. if you want to feed twice a day, then cut the first feeding in half. Feed pellets only 2-3 at atime,once a day. flakes, a small pinch. Bettas don't have large stomachs and its best to underfeed a bit them over feed. As they need a high protein diet I fast mine on Sundays to help them digest their rich food.Betta fish questions, water temperature and size bowl...?
Betta are a lot of fun. I have mine in a five gallon tank and he really swims around quite a bit. You could get away with 2.5 gallon at the very least but he (and you) will enjoy a bigger one more.



You do not want to put him outside in the sun. If you heat his bowl up then it will be twice as bad for him when it gets cold again. Just try and buy a bigger tank as soon as you can and put a heater and a filter in it.



As for food, I feed mine the pellets for bettas, but flakes are fine too. I also have freed dried bloodworms but he does not seem to like them. I heard that they like brine shrimp but since mine is housed with a shrimp I did not want to give him any ideas. :) As for how often I just feed a few pellets once a day.



Do 25% water changes once a week, or at the least every other week. Make sure you treat the water first for chlorine/chlorimine (sp) and you should be good to go.



Have fun with your betta, like I said they are a lot of fun. :)