Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Please help save Thomas the snake!?

Hello. To all ball python breeders, python owners, those with snake experience period, PLEASE HELP US.



I just adopted a 4 yr old python from a horrible owner 1 wk ago tomorrow. I'm going to explain the issue first and then give some back up detail. The snake ate about a wk 1/2 ago and ended up throwing up the rat 2 days ago. I was holding him this afternoon when all of a sudden he threw up and (brase yourself) pooped loads of diarreah down my shirt and pants!



You'll see why this is alarming me after you hear the horrible story below.



I have raised 4 other pythons for a total of 5 years. The oldest was about 61/2 foot long. I have never seen this happen. (I no longer have these pythons due to a bad breakup)



I first saw Thomas (this poor snake) a year ago when he lived with a close friend. There was also another baby python in the cage with him. Thomas was 6ft long, extremely plump and very healthy. My friend had to give Thomas and the other snake to a family member while they went through a financial hardship. This family member of theirs has had them since.



The baby ended up dying! My friend told me he had learned that the family member kept absolutely no heat on these 2 snakes while being kept inside a house without a heater as well! This means they went through the entire winter absolutely freezing! No wonder the baby died. (The baby was about 3ft long when I saw him)



Based on his shrunken size and girth, I also assume the poor thing wasn't fed the entire time. I know they fed him right before we picked him up due to him regurgetating it.



Like I said, Thomas is now 41/2 ft (I'm not sure if they can shrink but I am certain we had measured him at 6ft if my memory serves me correctly) and his girth has shrunk considerably. The bones of his body and his vertabrea can be felt easily through the meat. I assume he has an upper respritory infection due to his continuous weezing.



I have raised the heat and the humidity up inside of his cage which is a 100gallon tank placed atop of a wooden base. The heat reaches over 95 degrees as this is what the vet had instructed me to do the first time my first baby 5 years ago received an upper respritory infection. Upon applying solid heat and a raise in humidity for 3 days, the snake was cured. I have tried that with this one but he seems very uncomfortable with the change in temperature.



Is it possible that since he has lived a year without heat and humidity and has been incredibly malnourished, the temperature change has shocked him? Is that possibly why he made a mess all over me?



How do I nourish Thomas back to health?



Should I start with small mouses and work him upto jumbo rats where he should be?



If I do this, how often should I try feeding him?



Should I purchase calcium powder to try and raise his calcium level?



I'm really worried about this little guy. I will be heart broken if he dies in my care. The minute I found out of his living conditions, I made a place for his cage at the house and immediately made arrangements to pick this poor creature up. Of course I received him for free and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on how to nurish this beautiful boy back to health.



THANK YOU!!



P.S If I must take him to the vet, I will do so however I feel it is best to see if there are any breeders out there who can assist me with home remedies before I spend the $100 at my vet. I plan on taking him within 2 weeks if I cannot get a change in his reactions.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
Hi, I must first applaud your kind concern for a fellow creature.

Now that's over with, try lowering his temperature by 2 or 3 degrees, regurgitation happened for the same reason with one of my snakes. Evacuating the content of his cloaca is usually a defense mechanism so he is probably not used to being held.

Definitely try to feed smaller meals and do so once a week, and also check he doesn't have mouth rot, it is very common in snakes kept in cold, damp or dirty conditions, the most likely symptom is constant rubbing of the mouth and face as if it itches, if caught early can be treated with Iodine solution, cheap and quick otherwise it's a course of antibiotics if you feel up to it by yourself.

I hope this helps you out and good luck.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
there is definetley no cheap route with this take him to the vet you need to.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
He sounds way past the stage where a %26quot;home remedy%26quot; might help. Get him to a good herp vet ASAP to treat the respiratory infection, and I would check him for parasites while you're at it. Until the RI is under control, he may refuse eating which is obviously not going to be great on him.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
Buying or owning these animals should be outlawed. So sorry for all the birds,snakes,etc.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
URI can be treated at home in the early stages. This late in the game, i would take him to a vet, he will probably need antibiotic shots to get over it. I would lower the temps into the mid 80's and slowly increase them over a week or so. It sounds like it was too much too fast.



I would almost say down size his cage too. A 100 gallon is a night mare to keep proper heat and humidity in. A 40 or 50 is a adequate size for a full grown ball python.Please help save Thomas the snake!?
How do I nourish Thomas back to health?



I would power feed him. Feed him an adult mouse or small rat every 4 days. He will gain weight fairly quickly unless he has some sort of internal parasite. If you power feed him for a couple months and he's not gaining weight, then take him to the vet. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time or money going to a vet. There's nothing they can do, and most of them don't know anything about ball pythons.



Should I start with small mouses and work him upto jumbo rats where he should be?



Start with a prey item that is the same width as he is. Just some info, ball pythons almost never reach a size in which they can eat a jumbo rat. I have a pretty large female that only eats medium rats, a full grown female rat is bigger than I would be comfortable with feeding her.



Should I purchase calcium powder to try and raise his calcium level?

Do not give ball pythons calcium powder. Ball pythons get calcium from the rodents they eat, lizards do not get calcium from insects which is why they need the powder. There is never a reason to give ball pythons calcium.



My ball python care sheet: http://slitherinsisters.com/ball-python-



Also, I'm doubting he was ever 6 feet long, and no they don't shrink length wise. VERY few ball pythons make it to 6 feet and if they do they are often pretty old. Ball pythons are short fat snakes. My 5 year old breeder female is only 4.5 feet, and roughly 4.5 pounds.



You might want to put him in a smaller cage. A 100 gallon tank is huge for a ball python. Adults are usually kept in 40-50 gallon tanks. He might get stressed from all the open space, so keep that in mind.