Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cost for shocks/struts on my car?

I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off. I'm going to this new mechanic and I trust him(as much as you can trust someone new).



I got a '95 Saturn SL2. 130,000 miles. Still runs great. How often do you need to change your shocks/struts? If your car's really bouncy, does that mean it's time? And how much is a good price for new shocks/struts?Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
um no you would only need a new strut if you hear knocking and a new one would be about $100 without labour, i would suggest buying a used one for about $20 tho. and also a strut is easy to do on your own its only about 5 or 6 bolts.Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
Get a friend to drive your car around you and you can watch how much it bounces. I was shocked to see mine looked like it nosedived. Over time, you get used to %26quot;bounciness%26quot; and don't notice. A backyard mechanic from CList quoted me $400 Canadian, parts %26amp; labor. Remanufactured parts, which is fine.

Report Abuse

Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
This really is a matter of safety. Worn struts or shocks will affect not only the handling of your car but also increases your braking distance. Shocks and struts typically last anywhere from 60000 to 100000 miles. At 130000 , it is probably time to have them changed. Bounciness is a very good indicator of worn struts. If you went to a part store to buy them they would cost you between 50 and 80, from the mechanic, probably about 100 ( the mechanic has to eat too)Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
Yes if your car seems to bounce a lot it is probably time for new struts. It is one of the most over looked maintenance items...I heard a stat that like 80% of cars go to the junk yard with Original shocks and struts. The purpose of the strut and shock is to keep the vehicle from bouncing and to keep the tire on the ground, it improves braking distances because of this. Your car has struts on all four corners which makes the rear a little more pricey to replace VS if it had shocks. The front strut labor is 2 hours and the rear is 2.5 hours roughly....labor guides differ somewhat and some shops charge to disassemble the strut once its out (.3 per strut at most places .3 x 4 = 1.2).....so $100 an hour x 5.7hours = $570 in labor. Struts usually are not too expensive......I would guess high at maybe $150 per strut (probably less, but could be more) $ 150 x 4 struts = $600 in parts. Plus an alignment should be done also (probably $69) Labor $570 + Parts $600 + alignment $69 = $1240.....that estimate is probably high but strut replacement is exspensive and thats why they do not get done on a lot of cars. Good luck!Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
if its bouncing there probablyd you can look a the strut and shocks for that matter look at the shafts see iftheirss oil leaking down them as far as price every car is different.Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
Around 100 dollars Cost for shocks/struts on my car?
$200.00 and up