Thursday, June 2, 2011

What are the people like in Ann Arbor, MI?

So, I am from San Antonio, TX and am considering my options for school. I am hispanic and seeing as how our population is mostly hispanic I am trying to prepare myself for a major change, a culture shock if you will. So I guess what I'm asking is are the people mean? Are they racist? I am hoping that since it is a college town that it is more diverse than most places up north. Anyway, all answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.What are the people like in Ann Arbor, MI?
Ann Arbor is an incredibly tolerant and welcoming town. I lived with 3 Chicano guys in California, and while the Hispanic / Latino population is much lower here in Michigan, I would say that overall, the people are actually nicer!



As far as resources and groups at the university, there are several for you to connect and meet other Latinos / Hispanics / Etc. on campus:

The Latino Students Organization

ALIANZA - The Latina/o Student Alliance

La Salud - interested in addressing Latino/a public health issues in the community.



You should definitely consider Michigan and come up here for a visit to see how much you like it. If you email one of these groups, they might even be able to arrange to have one of their members show you around and show you the %26quot;real%26quot; Ann Arbor and not just the canned tour.



Good luck!What are the people like in Ann Arbor, MI?
Sweetie not everyone is raciest Thank God ! MI is a beautiful place and I feel you will make the adjustment just fine. Just steer clear of those not accepting. I do and I am not even Hispanic.



Best of luck !What are the people like in Ann Arbor, MI?
I live in the middle of Michigan and have been to Ann Arbor lots of times. I have only had one bad experience, and that was at a sketchy hotel with some scary people. But you shouldn't have any problems with racism. There are mean people wherever you are, but it is a very diverse area!What are the people like in Ann Arbor, MI?
I did my undergrad at U of M, so hopefully I'm qualified to answer. Ann Arbor is a suprisingly tolerant place, there's alot of mingling between people of all races. Although you'll be one of about six hispanic people in the city (an exaggeration, but the hispanic population is pretty low), you really won't face too much difficulty because of it.