Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to color over highlights?

I've colored my graying hair at home for several years with good results. I use a medium blonde. I decided to have my salon add some highlights for contrast and supposedly a subtle change. My hairdresser used bleach and foil and the highlights were much too light and too heavy. It was such a dramatic change, I was shocked and told him it was too much! He then added toner all over and the result is a dull all over color. In a few weeks my gray will start growing back and I'll have to touch up the roots. Usually when I touchup I put the color on the roots for about 20 min., then comb it through all over for the last 10. How will this work with the bleach and toner highlights? I'm very nervous about this and don't trust my hairdresser anymore for advice. Help!How to color over highlights?
The medium blonde is a darker color than your highlights, so at the most your highlights would go a bit darker... but it could look a bit strange for a while because where the highlights stop and the real hair starts growing out, you may actually see a separation between the dyed area and the light blonde highlights..... good luck. I'd try another salon to get a colorist to fix your hair back to med. blonde, THEN just stick to your at-home solution.